· Last Movie you wa... [390]
The Scottish Pool Association » Competition Venues » Riley's
Riley's £10000 amateur event
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

Riley's £10000 amateur event
by: furrybeast, 09-07-2011 12:27 PM (#41)

Presumably one-off cases like this can be looked at, and dispensation given by the SPA committee, if agreed at a meeting?

Aberdeen IM/Area Rep
furrybeast

RE: Riley's £10000 amateur event
by: Steed Snr, 09-07-2011 12:33 PM (#42)

SPA members can only play comps in scotland with BB rules only.
Steed Snr

by: Steed Snr, 09-07-2011 12:47 PM (#43)

Macleod00 wrote:
I would think that, under the letter or the law (that I can't seem to find on here), that they would not be able to play.

The really sad thing is that the BB players in Inverness will probably be scaremongered out of competing for fear of being being banished from SPA events and local league singles/doubles comps.

Maybe this is an opportunity to look again at the bigger picture and how the banning policy affects certain SPA league members' ability to compete in great tournaments on their doorstep.
Two comps one for BB players and one for the WR guys.
Steed Snr

by: furrybeast, 09-07-2011 12:50 PM (#44)

Steed Snr wrote:

Ach well, if that's the case, this entire thread might as well be deleted, as no SPA member will be able to play in it.

Pity, sounds like a good comp bye

Aberdeen IM/Area Rep

Edited by furrybeast 09-07-2011 12:54 PM
furrybeast

by: furrybeast, 09-07-2011 12:53 PM (#45)

Steed Snr wrote:
Macleod00 wrote:
I would think that, under the letter or the law (that I can't seem to find on here), that they would not be able to play.

The really sad thing is that the BB players in Inverness will probably be scaremongered out of competing for fear of being being banished from SPA events and local league singles/doubles comps.

Maybe this is an opportunity to look again at the bigger picture and how the banning policy affects certain SPA league members' ability to compete in great tournaments on their doorstep.
Two comps one for BB players and one for the WR guys.

You can't separate players in an open completion at the qualifying stage - or any stage for that matter.

Aberdeen IM/Area Rep
furrybeast

by: Steed Snr, 09-07-2011 01:12 PM (#46)

Rubbish, Howard will give you x amount final places for x amount of entrants and ask you to run it any way you like.
Steed Snr

by: furrybeast, 09-07-2011 01:23 PM (#47)

What if there's only one qualifying place?

What if there's 30 WR entries, and only one BB entry?

What if Rileys say "stuff you!" when they discover that your players are effectively banned from playing in one of their events - despite sponsoring the SPA

All these what-if's can be negated by the members voting to allow their players to play Riley's rules in, what is after all, a one-off competition with no "threat" to the SPA in any way, shape or form.

Aberdeen IM/Area Rep
furrybeast

by: delboy, 09-07-2011 03:52 PM (#48)

seen as Howard Miller is the newest member of this site maybe he could come on and clarify on this thread who can and cannot play in this, i dont think they have thought this through as there are also kids through out the uk playing at u16 and u18 kids as young as 10 who have played for there country in the last 3 years, spend there money in there clubs weekly and cannot play in thuis cause they have played for there country, seems rileys could shoot themselfs in the foot with this one.

would be good if you could clarify this for us Howard

Thanks

the batteries have ran oot again in ma cue !!!!
delboy

by: knowledge, 09-07-2011 10:33 PM (#49)

Aiming a genuine amateur players. Who could be a more genuine amateur that a person who HAS SPENT THEIR OWN MONEY year in and year out to represent their nation with no hope of return?

Is there any chance of just seeing Rileys for what they are and driving them out of our game please?
knowledge
General Member

by: Sh88ters Aberdeen, 10-07-2011 12:26 AM (#50)

knowledge wrote:
Aiming a genuine amateur players. Who could be a more genuine amateur that a person who HAS SPENT THEIR OWN MONEY year in and year out to represent their nation with no hope of return?

Is there any chance of just seeing Rileys for what they are and driving them out of our game please?

I'm with you here matey..
A BIG company that has done nothing really for the game apart from milk what they can from Joe Public.
The smaller independants truly support our game and are the way forward.
Obviously myself in Aberdeen, I hear very good things about Daz at Hustlers in Rosyth and i'm sure there are many more out there...

Tables and drink at a decent price and supporting the players and development rather than milking them for what they can get !!

Oooops, I think mr Miller might have a quote now... lol
Sh88ters Aberdeen
General Member

by: davy2shots, 10-07-2011 12:20 PM (#51)

Rileys Rules.

http://www.rileys...htBallPool

?
davy2shots
General Member

by: JASONVOORHEES, 10-07-2011 05:32 PM (#52)

knowledge wrote:

What about the Patrons Spending their hard earned money in the Riley clubs they visit day in day out John???
This thread isnt about the SPA its a RILEYS EVENT for People that play in Rileys and are Members of Rileys clubs, Ross put this up for people that may have or not have heard of the event, to give us a chance to enter it.

How often do you play in a Rileys Venue John?

8 Ball Army
Nations Cup Seniors B Winners 2016 (Undefeated)
European Seniors B Champions 2017
European Seniors B Champions 2018 (Undefeated)
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

by: JASONVOORHEES, 10-07-2011 05:38 PM (#53)

[quote]Sh88ters Aberdeen wrote:

A BIG company that has done nothing really for the game apart from milk what they can from Joe Public.

Where else can you get 7 days of snooker or pool for just £12?

Also national Snooker 25th - 29th july FREE SNOOKER the whole week....

and on Monday nights after 6pm FREE 9 Ball....

hmm

8 Ball Army
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

by: JASONVOORHEES, 10-07-2011 05:49 PM (#54)

Steed Snr wrote:

With so many competitions out there nowadays the SPA may need to look at this rule one day,
I am entering the Rileys Comp, I don't care what the rules are, for £10 its worth a go, if I get banned from spa for a year or 2 or 3 then thats fine, theres always Davies and Shufflers and Maxi's events to keep me occupied and the Coatbridge League.
However this is a Rileys Event, its not another POOL ASSOCIATION COMPETITION, hence the reason Ross has put this post up to begin with.

8 Ball Army
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

by: JASONVOORHEES, 10-07-2011 06:00 PM (#55)

delboy wrote:
seen as Howard Miller is the newest member of this site maybe he could come on and clarify on this thread who can and cannot play in this, i dont think they have thought this through as there are also kids through out the uk playing at u16 and u18 kids as young as 10 who have played for there country in the last 3 years, spend there money in there clubs weekly and cannot play in thuis cause they have played for there country, seems rileys could shoot themselfs in the foot with this one.

Thanks

I have already clarified the rules Del for everyone taken from the Rileys web site....

rileys.co.uk

why dont you go and check them out for yourself!!!!!

8 Ball Army
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

by: JASONVOORHEES, 10-07-2011 06:06 PM (#56)

davy2shots wrote:
Rileys Rules.

http://www.rileys...htBallPool

?

it looks like the old rules....I loved them....No combi's.....loss of frame rule for non attempt to hit a ball, this is a great rule, stops players trying to hit a a dead ball and being forced to pot the one over the pocket. ball doesnt need to hit a cushion either Quality, the fudge rules.
Smile

8 Ball Army
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

by: furrybeast, 10-07-2011 07:19 PM (#57)

You need to scroll up to "English eightball rules", I think you're reading the rules for the American tables.

Aberdeen IM/Area Rep
furrybeast

by: JASONVOORHEES, 10-07-2011 07:47 PM (#58)

English 8 Ball Pool – The Official Rules

The game is played on a rectangular 6-pocket table with 15 balls (7 yellows, 7 reds and a black 8 ball.)

To win, a player or team must pocket all their group of object balls in any order, and then legally pocket the 8 ball.

To determine who has the right to break, both players will lag to determine who gets that advantage. (To lag, both players simultaneously play a ball up the table from anywhere behind the baulk line, with the intention of stopping it as close to the baulk cushion as possible. The person whose ball is deemed closest to the baulk cushion chooses if they wish to break or not.)

The game begins by the first player breaking the balls. To be deemed a legal break, 4 balls have to hit a cushion. The break will also be deemed a "fair break" if at least one colour is potted.

Following the break shot, regardless of whether a player has potted a ball or not, the person breaking will nominate their choice of balls. If the player breaking pots a combination of balls, for instance a red and a yellow, they can simply nominate which ball set they wish to play. Further, if one red is potted, they can if they so choose, nominate yellows without having to pot.

If a player fouls from the break, the right to nominate will be lost. This advantage will then pass to the opponent, who will receive two shots, the first of which will be a free table (NB: Note two ‘shots’ and not two “visits”. This is the only time in the frame where two shots do not carry following a foul.) With the first shot, the player can then play or pot whichever ball they wish (the exception being that one cannot pot the black) following which they then nominate their preferred set.

If one fouls on the break by not driving four balls onto cushions, the oncoming player has the choice to play the balls as they lay or to have them re-racked. If they take the latter option, they themselves must perform a legal break, following which they will then nominate their preferred set.

The game is completed when the 8 ball (black) is pocketed legally in any pocket, and all the remaining balls have come to rest, except on the break. If the black is potted off the break, one re-racks the balls without penalty.

8 Ball Army
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

by: delboy, 10-07-2011 11:47 PM (#59)

JASONVOORHEES wrote:
delboy wrote:

Thanks

I have already clarified the rules Del for everyone taken from the Rileys web site....

rileys.co.uk

why dont you go and check them out for yourself!!!!!

is this the section below you are refering to tiger?

if so then yes it will exclude all u16 and u18's if this is correct as it states amature players and internationals in the last 3 years. so this means that you could go into it yet a kid about 12, 13, 14, 15 year old cant? and you would most likley have 10 times there experiance and ability. it does say genuine amature players and i thought an amature player is someone who is basically not paid to play or earn a living from there sport off choice. yet readinfg the bottom of the paragraph below it mentions cat A in scotland, is this the only exclusion in scotland or do the other exclusions as well as the cat A's also come into it?

2. Player Exclusions: The UK English Pool Masters
is aimed at genuine amateur players. You will
not be eligible to enter if you are a current cue
sport professional or have been in the last three
years. If you have represented any country
internationally and at any level (excluding ladies)
during the same three year period. If you have
won any National, World or European titles in
any cue sport discipline in the last three years.
If by the closing date of Sept 9th you are in the
top 64 of either the IPA Tour or the IPA Strachan
Tour. If in Scotland by the same closing date
you are recognised as a category A player.

the batteries have ran oot again in ma cue !!!!
delboy

by: JASONVOORHEES, 11-07-2011 12:08 AM (#60)

[
is this the section below you are refering to tiger?

i thought an amature player is someone who is basically not paid to play or earn a living from there sport off choice.

so what your saying is WERE all amats????

because NO ONE gets Paid to play or EARN a living playing Pool in Scotland.....theres NOT enough money to begin with in the small game......

Hence the reason Maxi & Paul are pushing Jayson for 9ball

Goobsy #1 in Scotland for last 6 years has a job, pool earnings is Pocket money for the Top Players in scotland Del.

8 Ball Army
JASONVOORHEES
General Member

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< May 2018 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

18/05/2018 10:01
Add me please Edward Mcvey

12/05/2018 17:55
Can you take George Meek of the list for seniors event number 2 please.. Sorry can't make it.

06/04/2018 13:06
FAO Thistle I would advise you to post this withdrawal on the Masters Event 2 thread with your name

01/04/2018 11:17
Please withdraw me from the Masters Event 2 Work commitments

30/03/2018 07:49
None yet Cruickie, TC still reviewing the entries and identifying ineligible players

29/03/2018 11:26
Any word on the local qualifiers for the Willie McCartney

26/03/2018 18:17
Sent you a PM Bash

22/03/2018 21:28
Davy Duncan. sent you a couple of PM's

22/03/2018 00:12
Maxi - Sent you a PM

01/03/2018 17:58
hi ross thats team bilko paid in full . ta eddie mcvey

Render time: 0.64 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 62,454,204 unique visits