· Last Movie you wa... [390]
The Scottish Pool Association General Fundraising
Bah Humbug
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

Bah Humbug
by: Steed Snr, 22-07-2010 02:25 PM (#61)

alligator wrote:
you can ask my opinion if you like steed snr it was me that picked the team with feed back from the IC.
ok whats the reason Pat Holtz is not in the A team, after all we are paying to send the best teams
Steed Snr

RE: Bah Humbug
by: alligator, 22-07-2010 03:14 PM (#62)

he told me he did not want considered for any scotland teams.he was a little less polite than that right enough.what do you think about that steed snr.

wait and strike when the time is right
alligator

by: alligator, 22-07-2010 03:15 PM (#63)

what other associated processes are you talking about bash please elaborate.

alligator

by: Bash, 22-07-2010 03:36 PM (#64)

Ranking lists are one. Non ranking people playing in ranking evens is another. Any methodology used to choose the teams at the end of the day is another. Distribution of funding is another. SPA affiliation process for events is another. How does that play into SPA finance is another. The coaching network is another. Finances for other sections (not just mens) being reported through the SPA Treasurer is another. Prize structures for any SPA events is another......

Need I go on?

Serve no master, but your own ambition.
Bash

by: alligator, 22-07-2010 03:51 PM (#65)

no need to go on.

alligator

by: Steed Snr, 22-07-2010 08:16 PM (#66)

alligator wrote:
he told me he did not want considered for any scotland teams.he was a little less polite than that right enough.what do you think about that steed snr.
Was that before or after you told him he wasnt picked for france
Steed Snr

by: alligator, 22-07-2010 10:11 PM (#67)

that was well before the france team was picked.anything else you want to knit pick about.or is that enough for today.

Edited by alligator 22-07-2010 10:12 PM
alligator

by: lumie, 22-07-2010 10:43 PM (#68)

maxi wrote:
My proposal was not just to go towards the International fund, it would bring in substantial amount of funds which could go towards all manner of initiatives, coaching network, y&j development, ladies development, grassroots etc etc

It could potentially bring in around 5k per year.

well i for one hope your proposal is carried MaxiWink
lumie
General Member

by: knowledge, 23-07-2010 10:56 AM (#69)

maxi wrote:
By raising this cash means we can send our BEST teams and not just who can afford to go.

An interesting thought.

Edited by knowledge 23-07-2010 10:58 AM
knowledge
General Member

by: knowledge, 23-07-2010 11:06 AM (#70)

I just about cover my expenses every year at pool, am certianly not paying a pool tax on that.

Bash - pool tax.

Mrs Thatcher - poll tax.

Hmmmmm?

It would cost top players more in tax than it costs to go to a singing night or a golf day and at least at those days they are getting some enjoyment. I wonder how many are going.

It would be nice to see the teams doing some exhibitions or whatever or coaching juniors, or LDs or something, just generally shwoing a bit of appreciation and giving a little back.

It'll be much the same people at multiple fundraising events and giving a lot more than the rest.

Such is life, it's called the 80/20 rule.

However at the risk of repeating myself, if everyone who goes to Pettycur, or Craig Tara or plays in an SPA event paid an annual subscrition of 3 that would be 3 or 4 grand in the funds and everyone would have contributed a little bit.

Edited by knowledge 23-07-2010 11:17 AM
knowledge
General Member

by: maxi, 23-07-2010 11:53 AM (#71)

But by taking a percentage off all winnings then it's not the ordinary pub player who is contributing it's the players who are earning the money who are contributing the most.

And is it not these players who you are moaning at when they don't attend such fundraisers?

And the money raised can help fund things like coaching etc so pool benefits from the ground up not just the elite.

www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: knowledge, 23-07-2010 01:07 PM (#72)

Am not moaning at top players getting funded cos they are good and have won a lot of money, what I am saying is those of us at lower level are effectively having a whip round to send them away so I'd like to see them giving a little back.

Am sure the LDs would love to see the likes of Goobsy and Jayson doing an exhibition for their benefit, it would also be a great outlet for their patter.

What better than a couple of over 40 players who have seen and done it all coaching a few ladies or juniors?

The annual subscription would mean effectively every serious pool player in Scotland was making some contribution which would lessen the burden on the rest of us. Also when you say the fund could be used for various things, in what proportion do you suggest?

Personally, as I have said before I can see both sides of this argument, but no-one forces anyone to play in a tourney, the entry once it is paid, is gone, that's that.

Other than emotional blackmail, no-one is foring anyone to attend a fundraiser either, personally I am only contributing to keep my reputation as a generous philanthropist intact.

I think it would be better if anyone not wishing to contribute just didn't although healthy debate is generally a good thing.

I would rather see the money from these fundraisers go to juniors or LDs but when all is said and done, I think it would be nice to see Scotland win.
knowledge
General Member

by: maxi, 23-07-2010 01:48 PM (#73)

knowledge wrote:
Also when you say the fund could be used for various things, in what proportion do you suggest?

The proportions are not for me to decide, that could be decided either by the body of the hall or the exec who I feel would be in a better position to decide the split of all raised money.

www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: winder, 25-07-2010 02:32 AM (#74)

knowledge wrote:
Am not moaning at top players getting funded cos they are good and have won a lot of money, what I am saying is those of us at lower level are effectively having a whip round to send them away so I'd like to see them giving a little back.

Am sure the LDs would love to see the likes of Goobsy and Jayson doing an exhibition for their benefit, it would also be a great outlet for their patter.

What better than a couple of over 40 players who have seen and done it all coaching a few ladies or juniors?

The annual subscription would mean effectively every serious pool player in Scotland was making some contribution which would lessen the burden on the rest of us. Also when you say the fund could be used for various things, in what proportion do you suggest?

Personally, as I have said before I can see both sides of this argument, but no-one forces anyone to play in a tourney, the entry once it is paid, is gone, that's that.Grinwell said mate av always paid my way but to be fair i would like to see just a small bit put to the teams
more so to encourage the youth an juniors and the Ld's who may not have the funds to take their pool to the next level or the next tourny........to say it would be a big help to all teams would an understatement they obviously need all the back up they can getWinkbut please can evryone stop..on this sight tellin the tax man who's making moneySadSad

Other than emotional blackmail, no-one is foring anyone to attend a fundraiser either, personally I am only contributing to keep my reputation as a generous philanthropist intact.

I think it would be better if anyone not wishing to contribute just didn't although healthy debate is generally a good thing.

I would rather see the money from these fundraisers go to juniors or LDs but when all is said and done, I think it would be nice to see Scotland win.

here we go again we'r on the road again.....
winder

by: 8ballchick, 25-07-2010 03:36 PM (#75)

Only started to read this and was alreayd wound up by the end of page 1 and never bothered readin on. The whole point the fundraisers were started was to raise the fund to as others have said for the first time ever let those going to represent our country go without the cost of it all. By making it pretty much free you are more likely to be able to send the best rather than just those who can afford to pay.

As for players earning from pool, what you are forgetting is those guys at the top started somewhere and back then their parents were footing the bill for next to nothing back etc. But the have stuck it out, worked on their game and kept on trying thats how they are where they are now. I bet if you were to tally up what they have had to pay out over the years to what they are getting now it would still not total up to profit.

Then there is the issue with the adults recieving the money. We work in order to pay for our lifestyle in general, pay the bills, give our kids the life we want them to have after all the outgoings there isnt really that much left. Those with families especially have got to try and balance their holiday time to fit both around pool and our kids and it isnt easy and therefore it is very hard to be able to afford everything especially in pool.

so now we have individuals moaning that these people that have paid out a lot of money over the years in pool and to represent scotland shouldnt be getting possibly a one off chance to represent scotland where we dont have to foot the whole cost of the event. This has motivated players to want to be the best in order to have that oppurtunity and be selected and make it even more of a privilage than it is at present.

Stevie charitys make millions every year from grants and fundraisers unfortunately there are millions out there suffering but this is a pool site and we are fundraising for a pool event so to debate donating some to charity is just ridiculous we all do our bit do you?
8ballchick

by: the cue78, 25-07-2010 04:02 PM (#76)

8ballchick wrote:
Only started to read this and was alreayd wound up by the end of page 1 and never bothered readin on. The whole point the fundraisers were started was to raise the fund to as others have said for the first time ever let those going to represent our country go without the cost of it all. By making it pretty much free you are more likely to be able to send the best rather than just those who can afford to pay.

As for players earning from pool, what you are forgetting is those guys at the top started somewhere and back then their parents were footing the bill for next to nothing back etc. But the have stuck it out, worked on their game and kept on trying thats how they are where they are now. I bet if you were to tally up what they have had to pay out over the years to what they are getting now it would still not total up to profit.

Then there is the issue with the adults recieving the money. We work in order to pay for our lifestyle in general, pay the bills, give our kids the life we want them to have after all the outgoings there isnt really that much left. Those with families especially have got to try and balance their holiday time to fit both around pool and our kids and it isnt easy and therefore it is very hard to be able to afford everything especially in pool.

so now we have individuals moaning that these people that have paid out a lot of money over the years in pool and to represent scotland shouldnt be getting possibly a one off chance to represent scotland where we dont have to foot the whole cost of the event. This has motivated players to want to be the best in order to have that oppurtunity and be selected and make it even more of a privilage than it is at present.

Stevie charitys make millions every year from grants and fundraisers unfortunately there are millions out there suffering but this is a pool site and we are fundraising for a pool event so to debate donating some to charity is just ridiculous we all do our bit do you?
ive never read soo much tosh in all my life!!!!
1/ charities dont make enough money.....if they did africa would be economical like britain and the usa and we would have found all cures for cancer.
2/ representing ure country should be like going abroad.....if u really want to go you pay for it.....the reason i say this is quite simple.....these guys who are selected spent about 500-1000 per annum on tournaments,travelling expenses,super 11s-15s, spending money for events ect.....wots different here?
3/ every fundraiser we have here in coatbridge whether its for the super 11s or 15s we give 250 to st andrews hospice....FACT....monklands do the same and i can probably speak for EK as well...well more than yous do.
4/ i didnt ask the spa to donate all the proceedings....just a little....it wont make much difference to the teams going but it will probably make a big difference to a charity.
5/ a realy cant believe wot ppl have posted on this forum.....my view is simple......if u have a fundraiser....donate a little to charity...you will be respected more.

pished again!!
the cue78
General Member

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< May 2018 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

18/05/2018 10:01
Add me please Edward Mcvey

12/05/2018 17:55
Can you take George Meek of the list for seniors event number 2 please.. Sorry can't make it.

06/04/2018 13:06
FAO Thistle I would advise you to post this withdrawal on the Masters Event 2 thread with your name

01/04/2018 11:17
Please withdraw me from the Masters Event 2 Work commitments

30/03/2018 07:49
None yet Cruickie, TC still reviewing the entries and identifying ineligible players

29/03/2018 11:26
Any word on the local qualifiers for the Willie McCartney

26/03/2018 18:17
Sent you a PM Bash

22/03/2018 21:28
Davy Duncan. sent you a couple of PM's

22/03/2018 00:12
Maxi - Sent you a PM

01/03/2018 17:58
hi ross thats team bilko paid in full . ta eddie mcvey

Render time: 0.18 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 62,459,524 unique visits