· Last Movie you wa... [390]
The Scottish Pool Association General General
An Invite from the SEPF
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

An Invite from the SEPF
by: knowledge, 16-08-2010 11:40 AM (#81)

Bash wrote:
maxi wrote:
Just to clarify John, you asked two questions not one.

My reply is simple, entries would increase in ALL levels of SPA events. Not just the elite tournaments.

Increasing entries is only good for 2 groups of people - organisers and top players. Joe Bloggs in the Grassroots would actually find it to his detriment for overall SPA entries to increase.

Thank you Michael. The WR guys get the advantage of being able to play in heavily subsidised and sponsored events, the SPA guys get no benefit.

The problem with giving simple replies to difficult questions is they will not do!

Just to clarify.
knowledge
General Member

RE: An Invite from the SEPF
by: knowledge, 16-08-2010 11:44 AM (#82)

Dek, I think that might have been me you were replying to, I do agree that more joint events would be good but I think the SPA must also remember to cater for the player base that has made it so strong.

Edited by knowledge 16-08-2010 11:46 AM
knowledge
General Member

by: secretary, 16-08-2010 11:48 AM (#83)

OK Numbers....

SPA Super 15 2010 - 32 Teams x 18 Players = 576
SPA Super 11 2010 - 48 Teams x 12 Players = 576

Insurance for each event, which complies with Max in event (Craig Tara rules) is 600.

SPA Super 11B 2010 - 25 Teams x 12 Players = 324
SPA Super 15B 2010 - 18 Teams x 18 Players = 300
This is about as many caravans as Pettycur bay can give us.

So, if these competitions were opened up, it would be existing teams that would loose out.

secretary
General Member

by: jas1, 16-08-2010 11:57 AM (#84)

secretary wrote:

So, if these competitions were opened up, it would be existing teams that would loose out.

Or you may have to go back to regional/seeded qualifiers in advance of the finals. Think that was the deal when it was played back at Cowie Miners club.
jas1
General Member

by: Bash, 16-08-2010 12:03 PM (#85)

I think that's just another way of saying that existing teams miss out Jas.....

Serve no master, but your own ambition.
Bash

by: jas1, 16-08-2010 12:04 PM (#86)

If having the opportunity to qualify is 'missing out' then I guess you are right Mikey. Half-full or half-empty?
jas1
General Member

by: maxi, 16-08-2010 12:06 PM (#87)

You can book Craig Tara for two weekends in a row so have two lots of 576.

It's not rocket science people.....

Maybe then for once at an A team event the venue won't run out of beer or any other drink etc.....

www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: jas1, 16-08-2010 12:16 PM (#88)

Exactly. There are ways round the numbers. I think the biggest sticking point will always be what happens at international level. It's always the guys highest up the chain who have the most to lose or gain who will be the ones who are most vocal about change. Either for or against.

I'll bow out with that and leave it to the pooliticians, but shall read on with interest, and hope some sort of collaboration comes out of it. I've always thought it a real shame that we don't have any (or very very little) representation from the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee. Must be worse for SEPF players to play the same players all the time. Even a small change towards inclusiveness would be welcome.
jas1
General Member

by: Woody, 16-08-2010 12:17 PM (#89)

knowledge wrote:
mini hartson wrote:
furrybeast wrote:
The SEPF don't have LD or PH categories. WR are not the easiest to grasp for new players

what happens to us then????

Shot!

Plus all the WR venues are upstairs!

You are killing your daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grin

Am more confussed than a baby racoon!!!!!
Woody
General Member

by: The Islander, 16-08-2010 12:20 PM (#90)

At the end of the day guys, where is the harm in accepting the meeting offered. You can discuss all issues and come to some kind of agreement on a way forward that is best for everyone (which may or may not include status quo).

I also am pleased to see that at last there are at least two guys willing to attempt to bring WR and BB together. Lets try and lead by example.

I personnaly would love to see our guys on the telly at Blackpool.

Good idea Maxi for coping with more teams at the 15s and 11s.

www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-048.gifwww.clicksmilies.com/s1106/linie/smiley-linie-010.gifwww.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-048.gif
The Islander
General Member

by: mini hartson, 16-08-2010 12:21 PM (#91)

Woody wrote:
knowledge wrote:
mini hartson wrote:
furrybeast wrote:
The SEPF don't have LD or PH categories. WR are not the easiest to grasp for new players

what happens to us then????

Shot!

Plus all the WR venues are upstairs!

You are killing your daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grin

cheeky he killing his son lol....i look older but age am afraid he is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy older Pfft Grin
mini hartson
General Member

by: Staffe, 16-08-2010 12:42 PM (#92)

As I started this thread I suppose I should put my tuppence worth in.

Don't know what good having a meeting will do, but at least its a start
Bash keeps going on about how will the SPA benefit from this, I think Dereks intention in having the meeting is not to benefit any of the associations but instead the players.

I personnally being a passionate Scot would love to see a team of the BEST players in Scotland taking on the World on SKY TV and having a realistic chance of winning.

But its not about just the top players, if anyone could play in any event without fear of retribution then that can only be good for Pool in Scotland.

I think some people think the SEPF are just wanting to pinch a bit of the SPAs pie, this is certainly not the case. If so they would have been looking to do this a year ago when the federation was on its arse, not now when it is growing quicker than it ever has.

Q. What harm can a few guys sitting round a table and discussing the future of Pool in Scotland do.

A. Absoloutly no harm whatsoever.

They may come away with no soloutions or answers but if they never talk to each other then there is no hope of ever going forward as a sport.
Staffe

by: patchat, 16-08-2010 05:48 PM (#93)

My mate in Taffland tells me the taffs have now merged the codes under 1 umbrella with no bans either way. (This is despite blackball having 95% players.Bit like Scotland).
They agree they can't do anything about the euro/world bodies and International bans but they can do what's best for pool in Wales internally.
They don't see a problem with playing anywhere/any code.
It seems to me the problem is with the egos of the SPA/EBA/WEPF.

Edited by patchat 17-08-2010 07:55 AM
patchat
General Member

by: FlyingScotsman, 17-08-2010 09:01 AM (#94)

Your mate in taffland is correct but a few years out, all players have been playing together any rules for years now, only difference is that the best Welsh players have now decided to play in the WEPF WC at blackpool and now can no longer play in the BB WC for a number of years.

Myself Maxi and Renzie had how can I say, a small difference at the last IM in Cue Here about this.

It is true that I feel strongly about having one set of rules, I have said this in the past and only this weekend saw a mag that was 15 years old with me saying that very thing.

Now this game will stay the same for years to come unless we all sit around a table and get one set of rules, what rules I don't really care but we have to go under the WPA and have this game become a sport and that can only be done with them.

I could go on about GH all day and the WEPF but you lot have heard it time and time again, they are not a body they may feel that they are but believe me they are not, as for the SEPF, well lets just say that they would not be there if GH did not want to crontrol pool throughout the world not just England.

On to the question of having a meeting with the SEPF, well it may come about that will be up to our members, how does it benifits the SPA if we drop the choice policy, well a lot of our members may want to play in their events and their members may want to play in ours as well, lets take the first one, if our members play in their events what do they get, the main thing would be that they could qualify for the WR WC in Blackpool, this would really help the SEPF in giving them a much better chance of winning this great event and for some , our top players like the Welsh it would suit them but we , Scotland would then lose out on those same players representing Scotland at the BB Wc as they along with the Welsh players cannot play in two WC under the rules of the WPA/BB.
Who gains the SEPF who loses the SPA.

The real gain is money, as it stands the Blackpool event has around 35000 in prize money were as the BB event has none, so like any young pool star they along with their backers are looking to make money, who can blame them but how does the game get any bigger and better for the generations to come, it does not as again we still have two sets of rules, well that's not really the case in England as the most common rules played by their leagues is old EPA as most of their members hate WR and have never changed them for over 15 years.

Next how does the SPA and it's members benifit from having Aberdeen playing in their comps, sorry I mean the SEPF, well would the SEPF members join up with the SPA, NO, so how can they play in SPA events if they are not members yes they could play in events that are not SPA but they do that now anyway.

We could talk until the cows come home but unless we get one set of rules this game is not going to change, the EBA have asked a number of times to meet with the WEPF and they have been told by the man in charge to not meet, it's a same that this one man cannot accept change and until the WEPF stand up to him nothing will happen only that BB will get bigger and better each year, they know it and they also know that in a few years all the world will know it.

Edited by FlyingScotsman 17-08-2010 09:02 AM
FlyingScotsman

by: maxi, 17-08-2010 10:32 AM (#95)

Ross I think your being negative just for the sake of it now.

1. You say the majority of leagues in England play old EPA because they hate WR, so does that fact not also mean they HATE BB if they are not using them either.

2. If the choice policy is dropped there would nothing to stop existing SEPF league to remain SEPF leagues but merely pay the affiliation fee to the SPA as well, it's only 50, and this would then enable them to play IM, Superleague etc etc

Ross, this isn't that difficult to work out.

By the way, how much do you owe me for that bet that the EPA don't ban players from playing BB?

www.lastbidz.com
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: yvonne_ewing, 17-08-2010 10:42 AM (#96)

I know this topic will come up for discussion yet again at the SPA AGM but what I can see here is that people are voicing their opinions based on what is best for them or people they support/sponsor, whatever.

On reading the whole forum I tend to agree with Bash and Ross, I have seen the effect in (to name but two) Northern Ireland and now Wales due to the fact they havent adopted similar choice policy to the SPA.

I do question the motives/reasons of some; although I am an advocate of everyone playing the same set of rules, albeit I believe that this direction needs to come from governing body level, ie. WPA/WEPF.
yvonne_ewing
General Member

by: Claire, 17-08-2010 10:47 AM (#97)

Maxi most of what Ross has said there makes a lot of sense, by picking what you have picked and dismissing it all as negative isn't great. People want the same thing but have different ideas of how to get there but some of what he said is very true and by opening things up it could ultimately hold things back could it not?
Claire

by: maxi, 17-08-2010 10:56 AM (#98)

Getting a bit fed up with people coming to the conclusion that the reason for this is to get our best players to Blackpool.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. This is about playing pool HERE in Scotland, not about International teams.

If it was purely about getting to Blackpool, I would just get Jayson and Bossman to go play events at the SEPF and all the events outwith the SPA.

Tell me this, why is it ok for any player to go play 9 ball and not be banned? Oh I forgot, Ross was involved in that setup, silly me.

www.lastbidz.com
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: maxi, 17-08-2010 11:01 AM (#99)

Claire wrote:
Maxi most of what Ross has said there makes a lot of sense, by picking what you have picked and dismissing it all as negative isn't great. People want the same thing but have different ideas of how to get there but some of what he said is very true and by opening things up it could ultimately hold things back could it not?

My argument is this Claire, we have had the choice policy in existence longer than I have been playing pool under the SPA and we are not 1 inch closer to having one rule set than we were back then. Ross even admitted in his post that he was reading an article that 15 years ago he was saying about 1 rule set.

So how long do we wait Claire, 20 years, 30 years, 50 years?

Scotland is the only home nation that I am aware of which excludes players because they play a different ruleset.

Our tournaments are too good for us to lose membership so there is absolutely no sense in keeping the choice policy in place apart from personalities.

And I didn't dismiss it all as negative, I numbered the sections and gave reasons for it being negative.

www.lastbidz.com
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: yvonne_ewing, 17-08-2010 11:04 AM (#100)

Why should we (the SPA and its membership) make the SEPF stronger than it currently is in Scotland?

Business comparison, its like two rival companies vying for the same market, we have what 90% of the current market so why should we open this up for who are in essence a rival company to take a share of it. Doesnt make sense maxi!

Edited by yvonne_ewing 17-08-2010 11:06 AM
yvonne_ewing
General Member

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< August 2018 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

13/08/2018
Give the guy a chance Jamie pretty sure he has a job to go to today first and foremost !!

13/08/2018
scottish doubles draw????

13/07/2018
Derekd Derek Dunbar please contact me
Render time: 0.76 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 65,618,422 unique visits