· Last Movie you wa... [390]
The Scottish Pool Association General SPA Meetings
SPA Accounts / Treasurers Report
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

SPA Accounts / Treasurers Report
by: geegee1984, 05-09-2016 08:14 AM (#1)

Would I be correct in saying that 5 months after the AGM the members have still not been provided with last years accounts / treasurers report?

If so then i note the following.

In the minutes for Junes meeting it states that the accounts are required so that sections can apply for funding.
Then at yesterdays meeting there is a section approved for funding (For the record I am not against the funding being provided)

The committee / attendees then decides to provide all Internationalists with 4 polo tops F.O.C
What is the approx cost of this? How can it be approved when the members haven't been provided with the accounts? Surely this is a cost that can not be approved without a ballot of all the members?

The committee / attendees then propose to raise the cost of super entries by 3 per person to assist the international players.
So are the committee looking for the players who will never play international pool to compensate for these polos?

Surely if your playing for Scotland then buying polos should never be an issue.

In short i'm struggling to see how all these decisions can be made when the members still haven't saw the previous years financial report and i believe that none of the above decisions can be made until these are made available

Cheers
geegee1984
General Member

RE: SPA Accounts / Treasurers Report
by: chalmers7, 05-09-2016 08:57 AM (#2)

Although we have no seen the accounts we were reliably informed yesterday that we have around 30-35k surplus in our account. First of all, this is far too much for a non profit organisation and I'd be interested to see how this has been accrued and over what period. Regardless, this means there is plenty to pay for the estimated 5.5k in polo tops for the international players. Players can sometimes spend up to 1k per event to represent our organisation and all this is doing is wiping off an expense they would normally fork out for.

In regards to the 3 extra Supers fee, I don't agree to it. But, it is not for polos. It was part of Santa's proposal to help fundraise for the World Championships from 2018 where they will be in South Africa and then in Cyprus I believe. There were a number of fundraising activities proposed and this is one that needs to be voted on properly.
chalmers7
General Member

by: knowledge, 05-09-2016 09:08 AM (#3)

In actual fact it was not a section that was funded yesterday. It was the junior academies. They were let down by a major sponsor and asked for help, a proposal was made, minuted, taken away and the meeting voted overwhelmingly to give the money. Myself included.

As an aside the point was raised (again) that sections should be providing accounts prior to asking for any funding.
knowledge
General Member

by: alligator, 05-09-2016 10:49 AM (#4)

with 32-33k sitting in SPA accounts and more profit to come per supers event I do hope much more is spent appropriately to develop
the game ? Donate to charity ? I would imagine an association set up as non profit making but gaining profit each season to add to an already large sum in the bank would have to look at ideas of how
best to use it up

wait and strike when the time is right
alligator

by: geegee1984, 05-09-2016 11:05 AM (#5)

Agree 100% Renzie

How many leagues are in the SPA? Surely they could even be donating match balls to the leagues that will be getting used in IM events and super events?
geegee1984
General Member

by: geegee1984, 05-09-2016 11:08 AM (#6)

Also if it was discussed at the meeting how much the SPA have sitting in the bank, why isn't it noted on the minutes?

Why isn't it noted as well that the 3PP increase in supers is to help players as in 2018 the championships are in South Africa and Cyprus?
geegee1984
General Member

by: vinnyvegas, 05-09-2016 11:08 AM (#7)

Can I ask in relation to the proposal put forward..

Is it 3 venues on the Saturday or 2??
And 1 on the Sunday played to a finish..!!

Cos surely if it's 3 then that means less players at each venue which can't be a good thing!!
Venues are moaning cos of the no shows at present with having 128 players meant to be attending they only getting 80-90..
If 3 venues on the Saturday it would means at most they getting about 80odd players each..and with no shows your maybe taking that down to about 60odd...

Will it even be worth venues holding an I'm..will they just say no thanks it's not worth it any more..

Surely it has to be 2 venues of 128 on the Saturday with a different venue of last 64 on the Sunday played to a finish..

Am I wrong here or does it not seem obvious that's what need to happen??

vinnyvegas!

Edited by vinnyvegas 05-09-2016 11:10 AM
vinnyvegas

by: chalmers7, 05-09-2016 11:17 AM (#8)

You're wrong unfortunately Vinnie. It would be impossible to play a 128 down to the last 32 in each venue due to time (you'd be starting matches at 1am). So the proposal is to go to 3 venues which will give more clubs a chance to hold an event and cater for the smaller venues too. The last 64 will be played in one venue on the Sunday that is both big enough and good enough to hold the finals. In short, this change will ensure all clubs are given a fair chance to stage part of an IM. It will also ensure that the IM is completed on one weekend as it should be.
chalmers7
General Member

by: vinnyvegas, 05-09-2016 11:37 AM (#9)

You can't play 128 down to 32 on one day??

Everyone playing 2 rounds..

Really!!!

I done that with the big 128 I held a couple years ago and we finished at back of 9 on the Saturday!!!
Using 8 tables!!!

At end of the day the way venues look at it is how many bodies are they getting.!!

vinnyvegas!
vinnyvegas

by: chalmers7, 05-09-2016 12:53 PM (#10)

If the average venue has 8 tables, that would mean 12 round of 8 matches to fit in the 96 matches scheduled. Bearing in mind that it is a timed draw with matches starting at 10am and schedules for 1 hour and 15mins, then the last matches would start at 1am. Each venue will still get 80+ on the Saturday, paying a smaller fee than before. There is more benefit than downside I believe.
chalmers7
General Member

by: vinnyvegas, 05-09-2016 02:09 PM (#11)

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again if they would cut the times to 1hlur instead of having empty table all over the place then they would get 2 rounds played 128-32 no bother!!

vinnyvegas!
vinnyvegas

by: maxi, 05-09-2016 06:05 PM (#12)

Maybe we should hear what the fee would be in this scenario first before deciding if it will be good or bad for the clubs.

It can't be x amount per player as they do at seniors events etc as even getting 80+ in they are only in for a limited time each whereas events like the seniors are played to a finish.

www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: scottishslack, 05-09-2016 06:40 PM (#13)

They should buy enough Pro Cups to cover IM's and provide them to the clubs to use that weekend. That's a good starting point.
scottishslack
General Member

by: DOSSER, 06-09-2016 12:13 AM (#14)

knowledge wrote:
In actual fact it was not a section that was funded yesterday. It was the junior academies. They were let down by a major sponsor and asked for help, a proposal was made, minuted, taken away and the meeting voted overwhelmingly to give the money. Myself included.

As an aside the point was raised (again) that sections should be providing accounts prior to asking for any funding.

Would the vote to provide internationalists with 5k + of kit not be classed as a section being funded?.. Or it is, it just didn't happen yesterday?
Just a question for my own understanding.. No malice intended. comfort
DOSSER
General Member

by: knowledge, 06-09-2016 05:06 AM (#15)

DOSSER wrote:
knowledge wrote:

Would the vote to provide internationalists with 5k + of kit not be classed as a section being funded?.. Or it is, it just didn't happen yesterday?
Just a question for my own understanding.. No malice intended. comfort

If you re-read the first post which I have added below you will note that there are things called "paragraphs". A quick Google will explain these to you. I have added a few "***" to highlight the relevant ones.

You will note the ones above the **** refer to a "section", which is what my post is in reply to, below, in the following "paragraph" (see Google) you will note the authors reference to polo tops, in a separate subject.

The internationals receiving tops would not be classed as a "section" they would be classed as the international teams representing those sections aka "team Scotland". I am always happy to aid with anyone's understanding of any issue if I can I apologise for referring you to google as I do not consider myself qualified to explain primary school English.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

No malice intended.

geegee1984 wrote:
Would I be correct in saying that 5 months after the AGM the members have still not been provided with last years accounts / treasurers report?

If so then i note the following.

In the minutes for Junes meeting it states that the accounts are required so that sections can apply for funding.
Then at yesterdays meeting there is a section approved for funding (For the record I am not against the funding being provided)

The committee / attendees then decides to provide all Internationalists with 4 polo tops F.O.C
What is the approx cost of this? How can it be approved when the members haven't been provided with the accounts? Surely this is a cost that can not be approved without a ballot of all the members?

The committee / attendees then propose to raise the cost of super entries by 3 per person to assist the international players.
So are the committee looking for the players who will never play international pool to compensate for these polos?

Surely if your playing for Scotland then buying polos should never be an issue.

In short i'm struggling to see how all these decisions can be made when the members still haven't saw the previous years financial report and i believe that none of the above decisions can be made until these are made available

Cheers
knowledge
General Member

by: JB, 06-09-2016 12:26 PM (#16)

30-oddK in the bank?

I don't understand why a voluntary, not for profit needs that much as a float.

Surely it would be better invested in developing the game or investing in technology etc as opposed to sitting in the bank collecting (is it 0.25% these days) interest. Or, as a radical idea, why not use some of this to subsidise the internationalists as opposed to going back to the grassroots well for 3 per player. Personally, I don't object to funds being used to help the international players. But stumping up another 3 to help pay for sunshine holidays for the select few (whilst there's a wedge of unused cashed already in the SPA coffers) does stick in my throat a bit tbh.

Next we'll be stumping up for Icelandic language lessons.
JB
General Member

by: maxi, 06-09-2016 05:00 PM (#17)

People have this fixation on international pool.

We need to develop the sport of pool in Scotland, to hell with everything else.

Pump money into proper coaching structure and staff all over Scotland.

Pump money into youth academies being held at every areas pool halls to entice the next generation of players through.

Invest in proper streaming equipment and staff to do it right.

Invest in technology to allow proper live scoring from every single SPA event it holds.

Just a few ideas which are far better than helping guys who win money all year from tournament get a cheaper holiday to represent Scotland.

www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: Snowball3117, 06-09-2016 05:52 PM (#18)

maxi wrote:

Pump money into youth academies being held at every areas pool halls to entice the next generation of players through.

Invest in technology to allow proper live scoring from every single SPA event it holds.

Just a few ideas which are far better than helping guys who win money all year from tournament get a cheaper holiday to represent Scotland.

bang on well said maxi
Snowball3117
General Member

by: geegee1984, 06-09-2016 06:10 PM (#19)

maxi wrote:

clap clap clap clap
geegee1984
General Member

by: shale, 06-09-2016 07:13 PM (#20)

Agree totally with Maxis commentsclap
shale
General Member

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< February 2018 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28        
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

19/02/2018 07:48
Thistle, venue has been confirmed as TJ's, Motherwell

19/02/2018 07:48
Fordy, nothing yet, Awaiting dates for International events to be confirmed

18/02/2018 20:30
Has the venue for the Masters Tour Event 2 been Confirmed

17/02/2018 14:56
Any update on what dates the premier division 15s will be?

14/02/2018 00:32
FC Bash you are a legend

06/02/2018 12:40
Thanks FC BASH

05/02/2018 21:19
Davy, I am hoping to get the remainder fo the draws/schedules up this weekend. Possibly sooner for the 1st Division

05/02/2018 10:21
When is the draw for the super 11s 3rd division guys

04/02/2018 21:33
Thanks Bash

04/02/2018 21:31
After the deadline for payment has passed and when the payments have been collated to ensure everyone has paid. I'd estimate tomorrow (Monday) evening.

Render time: 0.33 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 57,581,608 unique visits