The Scottish Pool Association General Individual Membership
2018 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

2018 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: Superman, 17-10-2017 03:36 PM (#21)

As I said, I understand the calendar is congested. I just don't understand why the main events in Scotland don't have priority dates during the pool season??!!

The expansion of the game is great and the unders, ld's, ladies, seniors, masters, doubles, mixed doubles etc are all fantastic for that expansion..............but surely they should be fitted in around our most prestigious tour dates??

At the moment it seems as if everything else is in the calendar first and then the I.M's take what's left?? Seems strange to me when the entry numbers for this tour probably more than double the entries for every other tour combined.
Superman
General Member

RE: 2018 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: secretary, 17-10-2017 04:52 PM (#22)

Superman wrote:
As I said, I understand the calendar is congested. I just don't understand why the main events in Scotland don't have priority dates during the pool season??!!

The expansion of the game is great and the unders, ld's, ladies, seniors, masters, doubles, mixed doubles etc are all fantastic for that expansion..............but surely they should be fitted in around our most prestigious tour dates??

At the moment it seems as if everything else is in the calendar first and then the I.M's take what's left?? Seems strange to me when the entry numbers for this tour probably more than double the entries for every other tour combined.

The Internationals
Then Supers
Then IM's

and the dates for the IM's have hardly changed for about 8 years now.
secretary
General Member

by: Superman, 18-10-2017 12:41 AM (#23)

Just because things haven't changed for years doesn't mean they couldn't be changed for the better. I've spoken to quite a lot of players about these dates not being right and I can't remember one player ever saying to me that they thought having I.M's in July and August was a good idea.
Superman
General Member

by: FlyingScotsman, 18-10-2017 11:00 AM (#24)

Son things change each year and as such, you are correct we also have to go with these changes.

You say take out January, December, yes and then you say take out June July and August because of holidays, that leaves us 7 other months, in which time to not only hold the six events but to also ask the reps to run the qualifiers and get all the names in to do the draws etc.

It can be done but I can assure you that the reps will be telling me that they are to busy with their own lives to be running around asking players on a weekly basis to play their ties.

I believe that the one point you have said is that things change and we must change with them and its for that reason a committee is being asked to set out the new criteria for the IMs in 2019.

We are not going to just keep changing for changes sake, that is why we are in this position in the first place because I let others make changes to the IM structure I set up.

As the promoter of the SPA I will be asking this new committee to look at what is going on in Scottish pool at this time and in my opinion we have to bring back the prestige to the best events we have to offer.

At the Scottish finals there just now, we had 6 no shows, just 6 and that is what we should be looking for in 2019 at , as you say our biggest and best events.

Firstly we should not have 6 events, far to many with the changes to all these new clubs wanting their own events as well.

Before , yes I could understand having 6 but now, well, to many events just around the corner for players, so why travel here there and everywhere when you can just walk to your local and play when you like.

If this new committee agree with myself and reduce the IMs to just 4, then for sure we can put them on at a better time of year that suits everyone.

I would also say the size and structure of the finals has to change, all I see is more and more senior and masters players saying they like the one day events, well why can't we just work out a new system that gives us the same?

We can still get 256 to the finals? but not to the final day, just as we do at this present time, asking players to attend on a Saturday, to qualify for the Sunday, why cant we ask the league qualifiers to attend on a Sunday to qualify for the finals, to be held on another Sunday?
Just one I think could work out, which keeps the reps happy and perhaps everyone happy as well?

We have lots to look at but you can be sure that all opinions will be brought to a table for this committee to take on board and your right when its comes to holidays etc but at this present time, as I said to many other events along with our own to start reducing the months we play IMs in.
FlyingScotsman

by: Superman, 19-10-2017 08:48 AM (#25)

I think most of the membership will be glad to hear things are getting looked at Ross. And for what it's worth I think 4 events played over 2 Sunday's each would be a great idea.

Play 3 matches from the Last 256 on a Sunday then if you get through come back for the Last 32 to a finish on another Sunday. It would mean people would have Saturday's to themselves, it would mean no late finishes, it would mean people travelling twice would be guaranteed a decent wee bit of money for their trouble and I think it would also bring a bit more prestige to the final day. Not to mention I think you'd probably cut your no shows in half.

The only negative thing I'd say is you'd probably lose entries if you didn't still hold an extra non ranking I.M for those who didn't win any money out of the first 4.
Superman
General Member

by: FlyingScotsman, 19-10-2017 09:13 AM (#26)

Your one negative post is 100 percent correct.

However I believe that we have far less no shows for our IM 6 and that is because these guys have never got that far in an event like this and of course not won any prize money as well, so that event should stay there but stay there as it is.

Who is to say that all IM finals should be the same?

As you have pointed out, things change, why can we also start looking at perhaps having different finals for some of our IMs.

The no shows have always been a big problem and will continue to be if we stay the same, however like Scott has posted, having finals all over Scotland is the way to go but instead of say holding the final going to Inverness, we take that one right down to 64 and into one venue.

All sorts of things can be done , f we open our eyes to changes but we need the reps to understand along with the players as well, that these changes have to be made because now a days players can play in fantastic events just around the corner and no matter if the IMs are the best value for players, sometimes that does not even come into it.
FlyingScotsman

by: knowledge, 19-10-2017 01:53 PM (#27)

Superman wrote:
Well for starters leave out Dec and Jan for the festive period and the bad weather for travelling, which you already do.

Then leave out Jun Jul Aug as that's when most people go on their main holiday of the year and it's also the time of year when there is no league pool and therefore most of the membership are either not playing at all or playing very little.

That leaves 7 months of Feb Mar Apr May Sep Oct Nov to have one I.M per month and the Scottish.

Then if you really want to go the extra mile to cut down on no shows then try and stay away from holiday weekends too.

I realise there's a lot of congestion on the calendar but the I.M's are meant to be Scotland's premier events. Should they not go in our calendar first then all other events work around them???

There is so much talk all the time about the amount of no shows at Scotland's showcase events and yet no one seems to look at things from a different angle in an attempt to cut them down.

clap
knowledge
General Member

by: knowledge, 19-10-2017 01:57 PM (#28)

secretary wrote:
Superman wrote:
Well for starters leave out Dec and Jan for the festive period and the bad weather for travelling, which you already do.

Then leave out Jun Jul Aug as that's when most people go on their main holiday of the year and it's also the time of year when there is no league pool and therefore most of the membership are either not playing at all or playing very little.

That leaves 7 months of Feb Mar Apr May Sep Oct Nov to have one I.M per month and the Scottish.

Remember take out
4 weeks Feb/Mar for Super 11's
4 weeks Nov Super 15
2 weeks Apr European
2 weeks Oct for World/Nations

Avoid 6 weekends for IPA
and 3 for BAPTO

Leave 4 weekends for Sections and Open Singles

Leave 5 weekends for EACH of Seniors, Masters, Ladies, Unders, LD's

1 weekend for Doubles / Mixed doubles

1 weekend each or Jackie Paterson and Ronnie Ferrier and Wullie McCartney

1 weekend for UK Open

NO Davie. Don't take those out. Put the IMs in and then work everything round that. If it inconveniences the supers or Bapto or whatever, so be it. It's all about choices. Dunster made one last weekend. If it's holiday time with the family or a pool event, the pool event will never win.

If it's a choice between two pool events, you go to whatever one suits you. Yet another incentive to run better and better events.
knowledge
General Member

by: knowledge, 19-10-2017 01:57 PM (#29)

Superman wrote:

clap
knowledge
General Member

by: knowledge, 19-10-2017 01:58 PM (#30)

secretary wrote:
Superman wrote:

The Internationals
Then Supers
Then IM's

The IM (our flagship event) should be before the supers.
knowledge
General Member

by: secretary, 19-10-2017 02:06 PM (#31)

knowledge wrote:
secretary wrote:
Superman wrote:

The Internationals
Then Supers
Then IM's

We are tied to certain weekends at Pettycur and only certain months.

Edited by secretary 19-10-2017 02:07 PM
secretary
General Member

by: knowledge, 19-10-2017 02:55 PM (#32)

secretary wrote:
knowledge wrote:
secretary wrote:
Superman wrote:

The Internationals
Then Supers
Then IM's

We are tied to certain weekends at Pettycur and only certain months.

Even easier then.
knowledge
General Member

by: FlyingScotsman, 19-10-2017 04:18 PM (#33)

John we use Pettycur Bay and as such they also have a lot on at certain times of the year, add to that , we try to give space to each event, means unless you think its all right to cram in 6 events into 7 months , then it cannot be done.

We are also tied with two international events each year, Europeans and Worlds or Europeans and Nations, as of right now we do not know the date/venue/country for next years worlds, that is not our fault, just showing you that certain bodies are way behind us with getting things arranged.

However after saying all that, I totally agree with you that the IMs are our flagship events and should be looked at first, well behind the other two at least.
FlyingScotsman

by: FlyingScotsman, 19-10-2017 04:18 PM (#34)

John we use Pettycur Bay and as such they also have a lot on at certain times of the year, add to that , we try to give space to each event, means unless you think its all right to cram in 6 events into 7 months , then it cannot be done.

We are also tied with two international events each year, Europeans and Worlds or Europeans and Nations, as of right now we do not know the date/venue/country for next years worlds, that is not our fault, just showing you that certain bodies are way behind us with getting things arranged.

However after saying all that, I totally agree with you that the IMs are our flagship events and should be looked at first, well behind the other two at least.
FlyingScotsman

by: knowledge, 22-10-2017 08:53 PM (#35)

FlyingScotsman wrote:

The way the calendar is now are you sure that 6 events in seven months is "cramming"? That's less than one top event a month during the actual cue sports season. From looking at the county events now, fewer and fewer top players are going and if you asked them if they'd rather have that or an IM I reckon an IM would win it. I really think that the IMs should be in the cue sport season which is not the summer.

Quite simply unless the IMs are sorted and soon the local tours will completely take over which is a shame as although these are needed and great things, top players from every region should be wanting to go to IMs and now, for many, they seem to be a chore.

I am not sure if this is a situation the reps can resolve.
knowledge
General Member

by: FlyingScotsman, 24-10-2017 09:19 AM (#36)

Yeah John that's all well and good and I know you are right but other events have to be put in where they can, Supers, 8 per season, have to go into the early or late part of the season.

Internationals, two again early or late part of the season.

So just from these things, taking the 5 months that you are talking about, out? leaving us the remaining 7 to use for IMs first, the above are 10 to 14 weekends we cannot use, depending on how long the Internationals are over? one weekend or two.

The local tours are great for our players, they get to play near to where they live and the costs are kept down.

As someone said, things change and the SPA IMs have to change with the times.
FlyingScotsman

by: knowledge, 25-10-2017 11:17 AM (#37)

FlyingScotsman wrote:
Yeah John that's all well and good and I know you are right but other events have to be put in where they can, Supers, 8 per season, have to go into the early or late part of the season.

Internationals, two again early or late part of the season.

So just from these things, taking the 5 months that you are talking about, out? leaving us the remaining 7 to use for IMs first, the above are 10 to 14 weekends we cannot use, depending on how long the Internationals are over? one weekend or two.

The local tours are great for our players, they get to play near to where they live and the costs are kept down.

As someone said, things change and the SPA IMs have to change with the times.

They do.
knowledge
General Member

by: FCBash, 12-11-2017 09:14 PM (#38)

Back to the top for this one...

SPA IM Secretary
Arbroath & District Match Secretary
FCBash
General Member

by: Drover, 01-12-2017 07:50 PM (#39)

Uddingston Entries 47, 1410 paid into IM account. Names have been sent as well

Ahhhh Just Smash It

It'll Go Somewhere
Grin
Drover
General Member

by: briangar, 02-12-2017 01:48 PM (#40)

Kilmarnock entries paid 1620 for 54 players.
I will send names over tomorrow Michael.

Brian Garrick
Kilmarnock IM rep

Edited by briangar 02-12-2017 01:50 PM
briangar
General Member

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< February 2018 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28        
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

19/02/2018 07:48
Thistle, venue has been confirmed as TJ's, Motherwell

19/02/2018 07:48
Fordy, nothing yet, Awaiting dates for International events to be confirmed

18/02/2018 20:30
Has the venue for the Masters Tour Event 2 been Confirmed

17/02/2018 14:56
Any update on what dates the premier division 15s will be?

14/02/2018 00:32
FC Bash you are a legend

06/02/2018 12:40
Thanks FC BASH

05/02/2018 21:19
Davy, I am hoping to get the remainder fo the draws/schedules up this weekend. Possibly sooner for the 1st Division

05/02/2018 10:21
When is the draw for the super 11s 3rd division guys

04/02/2018 21:33
Thanks Bash

04/02/2018 21:31
After the deadline for payment has passed and when the payments have been collated to ensure everyone has paid. I'd estimate tomorrow (Monday) evening.

Render time: 0.27 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 57,263,694 unique visits