Thread subject: The Scottish Pool Association :: SPA MM IM#1 Finals - Weather Conditions

Posted by AllanONeil on 01/03/2018 11:02
#1

Due to the severe weather conditions, is it a possibility the IM#1 finals will be cancelled/rescheduled in the interest of players safety?

I personally donít want it to happen, Iíll be travelling from cumbernauld to Players Lounge, Falkirk however, other players from my area are having to travel to Edinburgh. Thatís not too bad I understand as thereís other members in the country having to travel much greater distances and I just wanted to know if the SPA have thought about this and have a back up plan just in case?

Sorry to play devils advocat but just wanted to through a spanner in the works.

Thanks in advance

Edited by AllanONeil on 01/03/2018 11:04

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/03/2018 11:06
#2

There has already been comments on this mate.

A decision is due to be made tomorrow, However, I would be amazed if the weather has eased tomorrow given what it is like just now.

just my tuppence worth

Posted by Snowball3117 on 01/03/2018 11:19
#3

AllanONeil wrote:
Due to the severe weather conditions, is it a possibility the IM#1 finals will be cancelled/rescheduled in the interest of players safety?

I personally donít want it to happen, Iíll be travelling from cumbernauld to Players Lounge, Falkirk however, other players from my area are having to travel to Edinburgh. Thatís not too bad I understand as thereís other members in the country having to travel much greater distances and I just wanted to know if the SPA have thought about this and have a back up plan just in case?

Sorry to play devils advocat but just wanted to through a spanner in the works.

Thanks in advance


guess you don't read the forum before posting

Posted by AllanONeil on 01/03/2018 11:48
#4

I had a look in the IM1 finals post but couldnít see anything so apologies if I missed it lads.

Posted by AllyM on 01/03/2018 11:58
#5

There is a post headed up 'MM IM One Weather' which tells us they will make a decision tomorrow morning.

Based on forecasts, worst of weather will have past after today and so hopefully should be okay (and I'm saying that as someone who has a fair way to travel).

Was good to have a post clarifying when the weather would be reviewed with regards to whether event goes ahead - so credit where it is due

Posted by MJ Hire on 01/03/2018 12:51
#6

All main roads I think will be fine. Think thatís the worst over

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/03/2018 13:03
#7

Let's hope it eases enough

Posted by Sting on 01/03/2018 14:24
#8

Amber warning still in effect until tomorrow 10am, and yellow warnings throughout the weekend after, i'd think a better safe than sorry approach would be best.

Posted by AllyM on 01/03/2018 14:31
#9

Shouldn't be cancelled for yellow warnings - which are essentially just saying be aware and plan for possible delays etc.

If the orange/red warnings are continuing over the weekend then that is a different matter entirely.

Posted by scooby on 01/03/2018 14:42
#10

Should be cancelled with plenty notice it's only a date change which I'm sure would get fitted in somewhere

Safety first

Posted by MJ Hire on 01/03/2018 15:05
#11

scooby wrote:
Should be cancelled with plenty notice it's only a date change which I'm sure would get fitted in somewhere

Safety first
for amber warnings?? Give abit more time on getting to venues. You drive a van Scott, I take it youíll not be working if itís amber warning. I know my trucks will be be out tomorrow. Amber is just drive with caution

Posted by Sting on 01/03/2018 15:11
#12

AllyM wrote:
Shouldn't be cancelled for yellow warnings - which are essentially just saying be aware and plan for possible delays etc.

If the orange/red warnings are continuing over the weekend then that is a different matter entirely.


Thats just for the weather and possible snow fall barring in mind what has already fallen and still to fall tonight. If even one person travelling is in an accident then the SPA would be at fault, in my opinion its not worth the risk.

Posted by Sting on 01/03/2018 15:15
#13

If it were me there is an option to cancel completely which I am against or to reschedule.

If cancelled completely then id say the 256 people that qualified get their entry into the scottish Paid and the remainder of the prizemoney given to either the international fund or the unders section.

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/03/2018 15:20
#14

Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings guys. One thing I would say is any decision that is made tomorrow is made as late as possible to give the event every chance of being on.

Posted by Sting on 01/03/2018 15:24
#15

The Hurricane wrote:
Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings guys. One thing I would say is any decision that is made tomorrow is made as late as possible to give the event every chance of being on.


Disagree id want it made as early as possible so people know where they stand, a late one is fine for guys in central belt but what about guys that perhaps travel on the friday.

Posted by AllyM on 01/03/2018 15:29
#16

I don't think any of the venues are exactly in remote locations, and so there really should be no issue with main roads/public travel (based on current forecasts).

Whoever makes the decision is going to wrong either way in some peoples opinion whatever they decide.

Posted by FlyingScotsman on 01/03/2018 15:52
#17

The Exec have decided to inform all players who have qualified for the MM IM one event, that it is now been cancelled/postponed.

A decision on what will happen to this event will be made later this month and we will inform you all after that.

Everyone will have different opinions on this but as far as I'm concerned the safety of all players come first and cancelling the event today instead of tomorrow gives the players more time to arrange/cancel other things along with the 3 venues involved being able to arrange things as well.

Posted by MJ Hire on 01/03/2018 17:32
#18

FlyingScotsman wrote:
The Exec have decided to inform all players who have qualified for the MM IM one event, that it is now been cancelled/postponed.

A decision on what will happen to this event will be made later this month and we will inform you all after that.

Everyone will have different opinions on this but as far as I'm concerned the safety of all players come first and cancelling the event today instead of tomorrow gives the players more time to arrange/cancel other things along with the 3 venues involved being able to arrange things as well.
Good luck trying to fit it in Ross, so many tournaments now with IPA, Kendalís tour, Bridlington, Wos etc etc.

Posted by scottishslack on 01/03/2018 17:40
#19

Roads are improving by the hour. The initial communication was the decision would be made tomorrow, I think this was a little hasty. Also, logistics wise I don't think 20 hours would make much difference. However, safety is of paramount importance and I'm only travelling from Glasgow, so maybe I'm not seeing the worst of it.

Posted by secretary on 01/03/2018 18:42
#20

scottishslack wrote:
Roads are improving by the hour. The initial communication was the decision would be made tomorrow, I think this was a little hasty. Also, logistics wise I don't think 20 hours would make much difference. However, safety is of paramount importance and I'm only travelling from Glasgow, so maybe I'm not seeing the worst of it.


Well Fife is closer to Edinburgh and there have been no busses in or out of Fife since 3pm Wednesday and next decision will not be made till 6am Friday

Trains are off as well.

Posted by The Hurricane on 14/03/2018 10:58
#21

Has these been any discussions on a new date for this please?

Posted by FCBash on 15/03/2018 13:12
#22

The Hurricane wrote:
Has these been any discussions on a new date for this please?


I spoke to Ross about this late yesterday afternoon, he is actively trying to find another date and hopes to have something confirmed soon. There are a few other things that need considered due to the ever expanding calendar.

Posted by The Hurricane on 15/03/2018 21:49
#23

Thank you